Thursday, December 13, 2007

No white Christmas for me

So, some of you might know that Christmas is one of my favorite times of year. I think it mainly has something to do with celebrating the holidays together with my aunts & uncles and cousins at Grandma and Grandpa's (both my mom & dad's sides). I've always enjoyed the annual ritual of piling into the car early in the morning and driving, not just over the river and through the woods, but basically all across Ohio and western and central Pennsylvania. It was a long trip. My brother and I spent many a good hour making up games, reading good books, getting dad to tell us stories, fighting as kids do, watching the traffic and scenery go by, and enjoying captive but quality family time.

Getting there was only part of the fun, of course. I've always enjoyed being with relatives and hanging out with cousins, and I value the sense of shared history and traditions that have accrued over the years. Things are, of course, different now that the family has multiplied, and not only cousins, but cousins-in-law and first-cousins-once-removed have added to our ranks. We've been nearly running out of space at Grandma's for quite a while, and this year my aunt's mother is farming out their space to us. Grandma's still cooking, though : ). So, the traditions carry on, but evolve over time. I guess that's how things go.

The 25th would be just another day here in Taiwan, but the Christmas trees have been up since at least Thanksgiving, and the Christmas carols have been playing on the radio for many weeks. My nephew and niece have been singing the carols they know and asking me how you say 聖誕老人 (shengdan lao ren; lit. 'Christmas Old Man') in English (Santa Clause, of course). Mom and Dad put up their Christmas tree, too (above), like they do every year. It would almost be just like home ('secularly' or 'commercially', at least), except the temperatures are still in the 'balmy' mid-to upper-60s. There's no heating in the home, though, and Mom & Dad often keep some of the windows open for fresh air (I guess). No White Christmas, but it will still feel a bit chilly : )

So, like other times I've been abroad and missed the holidays, I'll be listening to Handel and Bing Crosby, wishing for Christmas turkey and Grandma's cookies and jello salads, and thinking of everyone. There was one year in China I actually sang "I Wish Me a Merry Christmas", but at least this year I'll have family around to sing it properly.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all, BB

1 comments:

Llllllll.l said...

hey bud,
We wish you a merry xmas, too! And don't worry, we have been having grey rainy days, so it hardly feels like xmastime here, either.

keep up the interesting blog!