Sunday, August 26, 2007

Real Life Begins

So, Mom and Dad have left now, so it's just me and YT and the in-laws. I'm really glad that Mom and Dad were able to be here to get to know YT's family, background, and culture much better. Mom did say that she felt she 'understood' where YT comes from now and why she is the way she is (sort of). It's really nice to have good parents. It was also fun to get the 'newcomers' tour beyond the areas I've already been, and my new family were wonderful hosts. All in all it was a very good time.

I felt it was also really helpful for me to have more of a smooth introduction into long-term stay here. Though I've been in Taiwan several times before, it's always good to get a 'fresh' perspective, and M&D asked questions I would not have, and were interested in things I just sort of took for granted. It was also very good to be able to use English at such a level. They did very well interacting with the family despite the language differences, and talked even when they weren't sure whether the others would understand or not. Of course there were people to translate when necessary, but I was impressed with how much they took things into their own hands when they could. I know enough Chinese to feel self-conscious about saying things wrong, which sometimes keeps me from speaking at all (I know, I know, this is a common L2 learning impediment to overcome), so they provided a good model of communication.

Now 'real life' here has begun, and will get into full swing next month with classes and interviews. I have orientation at my school next friday, then classes start on the 3rd. I love studying Chinese (formally) when I have the chance, so I'm really looking forward to it. I've never had this extent of immersion in my Chinese learning experience, so I'm hoping improvement will proceed quickly. As I mentioned, it's frustrating not being able to speak as fluently as I'd like. This can be especially problematic when kids are involved, and I'm in a position where I have to set boundaries. But, more on this later. I hope things are going well, and peace to ya'll.
BB

0 comments: